Kampala – A leading South Sudanese academician, Prof. Akolda Maan Tier, unexpectedly dies in Kampala, Uganda. The cause of the death is not yet fully established.
After his academic serving, Prof. Akolda has been the head of South Sudan National Constitutional Committee.
His body will be flown to Juba where it will be taken finally to Lake State for burial.
Prof. Akolda, originally from Lake State, earned Bachelor Degree: L.L.B. from University of Khartoum, Sudan in 1968. Master Degree: L.L.B. University of Cambridge, UK, 1971 and a PhD from University of Cambridge, UK in 1975
Prof. Akolda has worked in various teaching institutions as highlighted below:
- Dean, Khartoum University, Faculty of Law, 2000-2003.
- Visiting Professor, University of Windsor, Faculty of Law, Windsor, Canada, 1999-2000.
- Director, Institute for Peace Research, University of Khartoum, 1997-1999.
- Professor, University of Khartoum, Sudan , 1997-to date.
- Associate Professor, University of Khartoum, Sudan from 1981- 1997.
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor, University of Juba (on Secondment) from 1st April 1990-3rd August 1991.
- Lecturer, University of Khartoum, Sudan from 1975- 1981.
- Head of Department of International and Comparative Law University of Khartoum, Sudan, from 1978- 1981; 1983- 1990; and from 1995 to 1997.
- Director of Postgraduate Studies in Art and Social Sciences, Graduate College, University of Khartoum from 1985- 1990.
- Teaching Assistant, University of Khartoum, Sudan, 1968- 1975
- Tier, Akolda M. “Review of Zaki Mustafa’s Common in Law in the Sudan”. 32 Cambridge Law Journals, 351-52, 1973.
- Tier, Akolda M. “Protection of Property under Sudanese Law”, 5 New York University Law School Journal of International and Comparative Law, 17-47, 1983.
- Tier, Akolda M. “The Evolution of Personal Laws in India and the Sudan”, 26 Journal of Indian Law Institute, 445-517, 1984.
- Tier, Akolda M. “Sudan National Legislation on the Territorial Sea and Continental Shelf”, 14 THESAURUS ACROASTUM, 845-64, (University of Thessalonica, Greece 1985).
- Tier, Akolda M. “Techniques of Choice of Law in Conflict of Personal Law”. 30 Journal of African Law, 1-19 1986.
Source: Harvest Financial Services